We use Twitter a lot at WDM and we know how important this little piece of micro-blogging gold can be. Twitter is vital to our blog and the traffic it brings especially in these early days . If you think that Twitter is not bringing in as many visitors as you had hoped then there are other ways of bringing in and increasing that drive of traffic.
You might not know this but you may actually be receiving a lot more traffic from Twitter than you think, but you just don’t realise it. For example if you are using Google Analytics to measure your traffic to your site then the problem is that if people are using Twitter apps such as Tweetdeck, Seesmic or Gravity which are not browser based then they will not register a referring address/URL when you look back at your stats. These stats may actually be recorded as going direct to your site instead.
There are ways you can increase your Twitter Twaffic
- Well basically an easy one – make sure you Tweet your own content and posts. There is nothing wrong with self-promotion.
- Get other people or contacts you know in your industry to retweet your articles.
- Make sure your site clearly shows your Twitter presence throughout the site.
- Integrate Twitter buttons for easily retweeting at the top or bottom of your posts such as Tweetmeme plug-in.
- Always interact with your followers and especially acknowledge and thank people who retweet or promote your posts.
- Why not include your Twitter address on marketing materials such as emails and even on stationary and business cards.
- Include other ways of sharing your content on other Social Network sites like Facebook and StumbleUpon. The Sexy Bookmarks plug-in easily allows this and it will most likely will end up on Twitter eventually via these channels anyway.
- Carrying on from the above – promote your Twitter profile on other Social Network sites.
I’m sure you can probably think of a million more great ways to using Twitter to drive traffic. Just remember – do not under-estimate the power of Twitter or Social Media. Go promote yourself site today.
Follow us on Twitter